Monday, October 26, 2009

Shooting Range

Stepping out of the car and onto the gravel parking lot, my ears were immediately bombarded by the cacophony of gunshots. Experiencing a strange mixture of excitement and trepidation, I grabbed one of the rifles and followed my cousin, Chris, and siblings, Jonathon, Leisel, and Lynnae into the gun range.



When I was younger I used to shoot my brother's BB gun and I may have shot a .22 before, but I don't recall. This was my first time, however, for visiting a real shooting range. Expectation ran high and Leisel and Lynnae's excitement bubbled over in great grins and sparkling eyes directed at me. They had both been to the gun range before and were eager to go again.





Chris's .22 was the first gun that I shot. He had just bought a new scope for the gun and it was very helpful in getting an accurate aim at the target. I did most of the shooting with Jonathon's old .22, however. It had a lot of problems and needed to be loaded one bullet at a time, but I enjoyed the challenge of trying to sight the "old fashioned way".








My favorite part about shooting is: opening the chamber to reload and seeing the the thin thread of smoke drift out from the opening. The smell of gun smoke was another very pleasant part of shooting. Jonathon declared that if they made cologne that smelled like gun smoke, he would wear it.





Jonathon made some really good shots, getting some nice groupings around the center of the target.





After we had shot up the rifle targets we moved over to the pistol range and got to shoot Chris's brand new Kimber .45. I had never shot a handgun in my life and, I must admit I was rather nervous. Gripping the rough, maroon handle, processing varying instructions on the best way to hold the gun (from Chris and Jonathon), I took aim and Chris released the safety lock. Taking a deep breath, I pulled the trigger... and hit the bull's eye.


What I wasn't prepared for was the vigorous kickback of the .45. Shaking a little, I finished up the round and then went to sit down. I wasn't quite sure what I thought of pistol shooting. The bullet exit is so close to my hands and I feel less in control with a handgun. After every one had had there turn, Chris offered to let me shoot again. I didn't want to, but I forced myself to do it; I didn't want to back away from something just because it shook me up a little. I shot 5 more shots and hit the bull's eye one more time. I felt a little better after forcing myself to shoot it again, rather like someone who has fallen off of a horse and gotten back on again. Just before Chris put the gun away, he let me take the last 4 shots. I conquered my first fear of it and I think that I am ready to go back and try shooting it again.

Leisel and Lynnae, however, reacted completely differently then I did. They both loved it! and were rearin' to shoot it at every opportunity.




We spent over 4 hours at the gun range and it was really a fun experience. I would love the opportunity to get more practice in shooting. I'd love to get the bull's eye every time. And, admittedly, I wasn't a great shot with the rifle. I could hit the target (some of the time), but 50 yards was just too far for me to get very accurate shots.






3 comments:

Lucia said...

Very neat, Charae! Looks like ALOT of fun!! =)
~Lucia

SarahJayne said...

Hi Charae!
This is a rather non-traditional comment to leave, but are you a member of the family we met in Hood River today getting apples? I thought your last name sounded familiar then, and soon realized it was because you follow my friends' blog (One Bright Corner)! What a funny, small world we live in! :) Perhaps I'll get to meet you when you move! :D

Charae Spafford said...

Yes, SarahJayne, I am a member of the family you met at Hood River. What a small world! I can't believe you found me online. :-D We very much enjoyed meeting another large family. What a rare thing these days. I hope very much that we can meet again sometime.