Saturday, October 24, 2009

Football

Football season...or rather the end of it. Admittedly, no one in our family has been breathlessly watching the games all season long; we are not much of a sports family, I guess. However, there were several of our number that really wanted to be able to go to a live high school football game.





Not being much of a sports fan in general, Ultimate Frisbee is about the only sport that I really get excited about, I have never been very interested in football. Since watching Facing the Giants, though, I must say that football has become a bit more interesting to me. I still wouldn't prefer a football game above a good Jane Austen story, but I was excited to get to go and see the game.





It had been raining all day yesterday and even as it moved on toward evening there appeared to be a lowering cloud in the horizon. To pour or not to pour that became the question as we hurriedly put together a dinner, keeping one eye on the dark cloud the entire time. Opinions were divided, certain diehards among our number declared that they would be perfectly willing to sit on bleachers, acting the part of a sponge, soaking up the falling rain. Others of the less adventuresome group would have preferred to have the assurance of a roof over our heads.




When Ania saw the football players she asked Bubby, "Why are those Giants wearing helmets?" I'm not sure whether the parallel in her mind came from the humongous appearance of the football costumes or the movie Facing the Giants.




As it turned out, the weather cleared and, aside from the evening chill, it was not an unpleasant night to sit out and watch a football game.





2 comments:

Benjamin A. Pent said...

If you don't exactly enjoy watching football, why not join me in either playing or watching soccer? Now that's a sport that turns me on! If you have a bonus room somewhere, I'll bring my soccer ball and challenge Ani, Cosette and Austin to a real game of soccer. I love all your pictures, too. But most of all, I love you!

Kelsianne said...

I loved "watching football" on Facing the Giants as well. :)
Not all the time though.
If you decided to watch soccer, there was a soccer player in Facing the Giants, remember their second kicker, David?
Thank-you for sharing!

God Bless,

Kelsey