Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Day in the Life

Chiming bells break the tranquil silence that reigns throughout the house and I dazedly reach out to turn off my alarm clock; it is 7'oclock in the morning and a new day has begun. Wearily I sit up in bed; it is still dark outside and, though the heater is on, the moderately warm atmosphere beyond my blanket and quilt is not nearly as inviting as the enveloping warmth beneath them. Reluctantly, I slip out of bed; it is the start of another day. I hear the front door open and the sound of hushed voices in the entry way; Mommy, Leisel, and Lynnae have returned from their brisk walk around the neighborhood and I am once again reminded how blessed I am to have my extra hour of sleep.


This is one of the first sights that I see every morning. I am forced to be the villain and awake them from their peaceful slumbers. Usually, by the time I arrive, the alarm clock in their heads has begun the awakening process and all that is left for me to do is to finish process. Occasionally, despite my attempts to impress upon them the necessity of rising out of their slumbers and beginning the day, they allow themselves to become once again engulfed in the inviting warmth of the bed and their overall feelings of drowsiness prevails as they drift off into dreamland again. Then I am forced to come a second time to recall them to the real world.


Downstairs, Daddy and Jonathon are preparing for their prospective days, Daddy for work and Jonathon for his studies at Clark College. Armed with imposing backpacks and energy maintaining sandwiches, fruit and extra goodies, they say a hasty goodbye and set off.


There is an immediate rush for the den windows so that they may be sent off with all the good wishes and heartfelt kisses necessary for their day.

Then the morning really begins, everyone is downstairs and people start to separate for their individual activities. Some find the needs of the stomach greater and begin the day with breakfast, others begin their devotions, dispersing to the living room and family room. I repair to the den where I seat myself in Daddy's comfortable armchair, the Bible in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other.


This is what happens when Annalise does her own hair styling instead of Mama (beauty school is not in her future). After devotions people start to gather around the table set up in the family room and begin their school day.


The students get busy and attempt to make the most productive use of their time. Peer pressure sometimes works in my favor as they challenge each other to be the first to finish school for the day. I sit at the desk nearby, grading the subjects as they finish them and trying to hush up small talk that will come up no matter what I do to prevent it.


About the time that I start school, Mommy takes the three little ones upstairs to the bonus room and has a Bible study with them. They memorize our Sunday school verses which are Psalm 107:1-2,8-15. Their favorite verses are 12-14 where they enhance the recital with dramatic actions; their favorite part is the "and brake their bands in sunder" where they melodromatically break the invisible chains that hold them captive. Then they sing our Sunday School theme song Our God, Our Help in Ages Past and a few others (Ania's favorite is Hallelu, Hallelujah). Many times Mommy likes to add the nonsensical Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes song along with all the rapid actions that accompany it just to get the wiggles out of their system before they begin the devotional and prayer time.


Though she is too young for "big girl" schoolwork, Ania exercises her share of creativity with markers and pre-drawn pictures.



Austin is in preschool and Annalise is in 1st grade (actually she is almost done with first grade). She reads at a furious rate and has finished several abridged children's books (i.e. Robin Hood and the Prince and the Pauper, which she read to Austin).

School day endings vary, some days the children are done before noon and other days they finish about when it is time for me to start supper. Each day presents new challenges and new opportunities, chances to deal with others attitudes and personalities, at the same time as dealing with my own sinful propensities to impatience and frustration. Each day is a blessing from God and I cherish this time that I have with my family influencing and investing in young lives and learning lessons and growing in my own life.

No comments: