Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Trip Through Oregon

We took a family trip down to Ontario, Oregon for a friend's wedding a couple of weeks ago. The trip took over 7 hours, but everyone in our family, including the little ones, are great travelers. In fact we all enjoyed it immensely. It meant that we had 14 hours together as a family within 3 days. Everything has been so busy lately that it felt so nice to just be able to relax with no pressing responsibilities.






I must admit that I had no idea that there were so many beautiful landscapes in Oregon. The scenery was as varied as anything I have ever seen before. It reminded me of the scenes from Lord of the Rings varying from the snowy peaks of Caradhras in the distance, to the Misty Mountains,





or the rugged plains of Rohan.





I almost expected to look up and see the Tower of Amon Sûl.















Sometimes we would come upon a sweeping panorama of lush green hills and we thought we had somehow crossed the ocean and ended up in Ireland.






On our way back, Daddy paused and caught a snapshot of the glorious sunset silhouetting the miles of windmills that stood on the hills. As we drove, we sang hymns together as we watched the sun sink over the horizon in a splash of golds and purples.





6 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful drive. Although, for me it was always more breathtaking on the West bound journey. The end of the Westward journey was always my favorite part. There is eleven reasons to return and I sure can't wait to return! Love you Charae

-Chris

Dr. G said...

Beautiful pictures! I really liked your post. Permission to follow? Well, I'm following you anyways. Your way of life is very interesting. I'm actually envious.

Lauren said...

Oh--so beautiful! I love travelling together as a family; I even enjoy the car ride because we get to read, sew, chat, or listen to the radio together. So much fun!

SarahJayne said...

Those pictures are gorgeous! What a beautiful world the Lord has made!
Car trips are always much-anticipated in my family for the great times -- sounds like you had a blast! :)

Benjamin A. Pent said...

I used to love driving along the Oregon coast. It is so beautiful and majestic to view God's handiwork. He is truly awesome! Great to see your pictures.

Charae Spafford said...

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. I do love family car trips and it is neat to find you all feel the same way. :-)
Dr. G, thank you so much for following and commenting on my blog. Life is certainly eventful in a large family :-) and I feel very blessed to be a part of it.