Monday, August 9, 2010

Summer Summary

Summer finally arrived after many days of rain broken by only an occasional burst of sunshine. During the winter, as we shivered by the fireplace, I wondered what it would be like to feel completely warm. Then the temperature soared to 100 degrees in a few days and I couldn't remember what it felt like to be cold. :-) Now it has moderated somewhat and the mornings begin chilly and frosty and the evenings are balmy and warm.





With our summer break comes a new schedule. We decided that instead of wasting away our summer, we would spend it as productively as possible. Our bedtime is 10:00 and we get up at 6:00. There are a few days here and there that we haven't been quite on time, but we have been fairly consistent with the early to bed, early to rise goal.







Leisel and Lynnae have been fixing delicious breakfasts: French Toast, Eggs and Grits, Coffee Cake, Granola just to name a few. One morning we decided to have a simple breakfast of oatmeal. However, they did set out heaping bowls of marionberries, strawberries, and raspberries, along with brown sugar. It was the best bowl of oatmeal I have ever had.


After morning devotions, we all make a dash outside and begin working. With 5 acres there is never a lack of work. We have weeded the perimeter over and over until we are sick of weeds. The garden has to be carefully watered and the sugar snap peas harvested.



Our cherry tree bore wonderful Rainier cherries and we all enjoyed picking and saving the red and yellow fruit.


















We discovered that our garden needed more water spigots and so Lynnae, Jonathon, and I dug a trench a foot deep halfway around the garden and Jonathon inserted an irrigation system. Digging a weed barrier around the garden has been another monumental task. There is enjoyment, though in watching everything come together.




Jonathon handmade all of the bean and cucumber trellises and we put them up. We are looking forward to a nice crop of vegetables.



And then in every family there has to be a drone bee and Cosette gladly volunteered for that position.





Just kidding. She and Kayleen have taken turns holding the fort indoors while we work the outside. They make sure that we have cold drinks, lunch, and watch the little ones and keep the house in order.

Our garden is growing very well. Corn is getting tall and the tomato plants are filling out nicely after a very poor start. Zucchini is already growing and the squash and beans are not far behind. We are looking forward to a good harvest if the Lord continues to bless us with this perfect weather.

On top of our garden and yard maintenance, we bought 20 baby chicks who are now well on their way to becoming full grown chickens and we have been canning apple sauce by the quart. I will try to post more pictures soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Charae,

It was wonderful to talk to you the other day. I'm really excited for you to come out and visit. I'm typing this as I relax by the pool with a great breeze! Sorry no yard work for me...yet. Those are some great pics. I especially like the one with Cosette napping under the sun! Good times. I can't wait to see you and to hear more about these chicks!

Love, Chris

Benjamin A. Pent said...

Its about time you put something on your blog. I've missed it! I love the pics of all the family and it looks like everyone is busy, busy, busy. Sure miss hearing from you too. We are trying to get things together to come see you guys. Hope we can do it. Miss and love you.

Beth Loecken said...

Hi Charae!!!
I just spoke with your mom yesterday and had then had a few extra minutes to update myself on your blog last night. We all miss you so much!!! I tried to email your mom and it bounced back to me. Can you send her the below message and give her my email at loeckenbeth@gmail.com
Love u guys!!!
Beth

Hi Connie!

I just wanted to jot you a quick note and say that I really enjoyed catching up with you today.
I just updated myself on Charae's blog ... wow! You guys have been working hard! It's so fun to see how all the kids have grown and changed.

We miss you all so much!!!
Blessings to you and love from our family to yours!
Beth